About “Restored in Christ”: a series of services for Lent
The season of Lent is a time for us to face together the brokenness of our world and our lives, and then turn it over to Christ so that we can be restored by him through the cross. Written by Concordia Seminary professor Joel Biermann, each service in this stirring series focuses on a certain event in the Lenten narrative and takes a good, hard look at a broken element from that particular story. Coming to an understanding of how each of these broken elements leads to a restoration in Christ is key to understanding what it truly means to live today as new creations in Him.
Here’s what you can expect for the next several weeks at our Wednesday evening 7pm Lenten services:
- • Ash Wednesday Mar 5th – Joel 2:12-14 “Broken Hearts Restored” Our hearts are broken in sorrow over sin; Christ restores our hearts through his forgiveness.
- • Mar 12th – Mark 14:1-9 “Broken Vessel Restored” A broken vessel holds costly perfume; we are broken vessels restored when Christ pays the price for us on the cross.
- • Mar 19th – Matthew 26:14-25 “Broken Trust Restored” Judas breaks trust with Jesus by betraying him; our broken trust is restored through the sacrifice of Christ.
- • March 26th – John 6:48-58 “Broken Bread Restored” Bread is broken at the Last Supper; we are restored through the Bread of Life, Jesus.
- • April 2nd – Matthew 26:69-75 “Broken Promises Restored” Peter’s broken promises to never deny Jesus are restored by the surpassing love of Christ.
- • April 9th – 2 Corinthians 5:20-21 “Broken Justice Restored” A broken justice system put Jesus on the cross; we are restored when by his death we are declared “not guilty!”
The “Restored in Christ” series will continue through Holy Week as well. I’ll talk about that more in next month’s newsletter. But for now, I encourage you to attend all the Wednesday services. I know it seems like a lot, but you will get the full benefit from the series if you partake in each one. And remember, for those of you who do not drive at night, Pastor Kiessling and I will alternate leading a noon-time devotion in the Connect Center which will be based on the “Restored in Christ” series. These will start on Wednesday March 12th at 11:30am and last for about an hour. Soup will also be offered.
And for those of you who will be coming to the regular 7pm services, there are soup suppers this year! The soup is on starting at 5:30pm in the church basement. You may bring a soup to share on one or more of the Wednesdays if you wish.
Another special thing this Lent is some of our High School youth will be assisting in the services with the readings and the responses. Please encourage and thank them for giving this a try. It takes a lot of courage to stand up in front of people and speak, even people you know who are like family. May the Holy Spirit draw them closer to Jesus through their service, and may He bless and increase our faith during the penitent time of Lent.