Excerpts from NW District LCMS President Linneman’s
December 2018 Financial Report
to the District with updated financial figures as of 12-31-2018
The relationship between the District and the congregations isn’t all that different from the relationship between a congregation and its members. The church is really the people who make up the body of Christ. Together, we combine our resources of time, talent, and treasure to serve the mission of the church in our communities – namely to bring the message of God’s love in JesusChrist to those who don’t know it, yet. Typically, congregations set aside qualified man to be their pastor and to lead them in this effort. They often elect leaders to carry out specific responsibilities within their ministry for a particular period of time.
Every year we ask congregations to intentionally support the District’s ministry. The resources received from congregations are used to cover the operational expenses of the District. As is true for congregations, the bulk of our expenses are the salaries and benefits of the District staff.
Your District Office also encourages ministry in the following ways:
- Consultation to Clergy – a ministry that helps church workers and congregations respond to challenges in their fellowship and personal lives
- Mission Training Center – our District training arm that operates through Concordia University’s Center for AppliedLutheran Leadership
- Lutheran Community ServicesNorthwest
- Lutheran Latino Ministries – an effort to bring the Gospel to our Latino brothers and sisters in the Portland area and Willamette Valley.
- Support services to professional church workers in seasons of particular need through emergency assistance and referral
Below you will find a breakdown by category showing how we use the money we receive from congregations to invest in and support ministry across the District.
|Synod – Pledge & Gifts||150,103.70|
|North American Mission||265,840.62|
|Human Care Ministry||89,544.66|
|Preparing Church Workers||155,464.63|
|Direct Services to Congregations||445,364.87|
|Mission & Ministry Support Services||457,802.85|
|Lutheran Church Extension Fund||189,676.76|
|Administration & Other Expense||260,933.68|